Tuesday 30 March 2010

Coathangers + Green Collective + Introduction!

Hey everyone! I'm coldlight, a new contributor to this lovely blog!! I am a student and a crazy op shopper so hopefully i'll be able to post my findings quite regularly from now on :)

Last week I visited the Green Collective, which has a store at 318 Victoria St, in Brunswick just off Sydney Rd. It's relatively new and used to be called Eekos. I don't think it's on the op-shop list yet. Anyway it has a big range of environmentally friendly/sustainable products, things like fair trade coffee and chocolate, and also handmade items and items made locally. It also has a nice selection of second hand clothing, shoes, books, toys, etc.
I ended up buying a whole bunch of plastic coathangers they were getting rid of, they were 10 for $1. I bought 10 normal ones and also 10 ones that have clips on them. I have way too many clothes in my closet, and a girl can never have too many coathangers! I went there again today and there are still some left if you get in quick :)

I also went to the Don Bosco Op shop on Sydney Road and I found quite a few of these hideous looking yellow tops, for $1 each. Normally I wouldn't look twice at these kinds of tops, but I thought they would be perfect for a costume that I was making! My friend's 21st was on Saturday and she had a "Superheros and Supervillians" theme, so I decided to go as the Silk Spectre I (from Watchmen). The yellow tops I found were surprisingly very similar to part of the character's outfit, so I bought 3 of the tops so I could use the fabric. Love being resourceful and it was cheaper than buying yellow fabric! (pics of the final result of the costume will be up on my blog soon!)

When I got home I checked the original intact price tags and the tops were originally being sold in stores for $109. Yes $109! They had then been reduced to $55, then $25, then $5 until the poor things finally ended up in the op shop selling for $1 each. No wonder, really! But it does make you think about how expensive clothes can be priced as, even when the design and quality is not that great at all!

Well that's all from me for now, hope this first post was appropriate enough.
You'll hear from me again soon and feel free to check out my blog Sweethearts and Celebrations!
Love, coldlight

No comments: