Sunday 19 October 2008

Finally found what I'm looking for

Hello, this is my first post here. In AA meeting style, I'm Hayley, and I'm quite addicted to op shops. Although, I can say that I don't go too overboard and my place isn't filled with things that I don't need because I usually think through everything I buy. I've already been down that cluttersome path and have since gotten a lot better (limited space and money helps).

I often shop for secondhand supplies at op shops (fabrics, notions or garments to reconstruct) for my little clothing line, heidi and seek, for which everything is made from reclaimed materials. In future I'll take some 'before and after' shots of clothing I've bought and reconstructed.

In the meantime, here are my most recent purchases:

Overall shorts for my one year-old daughter
Five sewing patterns to use as packaging for heidi and seek
Faux leather handbag, which is in perfect condition

I love the bag, I haven't seen anything quite like it before. I've been looking for an everyday bag with a long strap for a while now and I'm glad I held out until this one. I'm quite picky with bags - it has to be interesting and unique but not so busy looking that it overtakes my outfits. This was a perfect find for me, although it is a little smaller than I'm used to.

You can find out more about me at my blog, heidi and seek and ethical fashion, which includes outfit posts from my largely secondhand wardrobe.

3 comments:

EmilyKate said...

Hi Hayley! It's okay, you've found a safe space to talk about your addiction... and be enabled!!!

Your clothes in your etsy shop are awesome! I had a bit of a shiver though when I read that you plan to cut up those awesome vintage patterns for packaging.... you wouldn't consider swapping them instead, would you? They look like they might be kinda funky and I have some old patterns I could swap you, they're for dreadfully unfashionable things like 90's-era caftans, but okay if all they're going to be used for is wrapping...

I am Emily, and I am a vintage pattern addict :o)

Hayley Sarah said...

Hi Emily, thanks for the welcome.

The top pattern was the only one with a cool design, and it's a size 16. But I was thinking of using the paper packet for my inspiration board, so the thing won't go just to packaging!

EmilyKate said...

Ah, fair enough :o) That is a lovely idea actually, using it as the backing for your inspiration board. I have also seen pattern tissue used as a sort of decoupage, it gives a really good effect when pieces are layered over top of eachother.