Sunday 10 February 2008

I have a bit of history with this shop front in Charman Road, Cheltenham, even though it has only been an op shop of for a few months.

Before it was the Family Life Op Shop, it was a bookshop called Word. I was really excited when it opened and couldn't wait to get down there to check it out. So in I go, past the religious books at the front (an odd choice for the entrance I thought), past more religious books and it was only when I got to the back that I realised it was a whole bookshop dedicated to religion. My balloon of excitement was deflated......

The shop was really busy on the Saturday morning that I visited. Its a large, orderly store and they have a large stock of books, clothing and furniture.

I picked up this Ladakah top which thanks to their current 50% off all clothing sale, was $2.00. I plan to cut the frill off the bottom and use the fabric to make some spaghetti straps. Apologies for the fuzzy photo!



Here's a few more treasures I spotted.

EPNS tea set for $25.00

Lots of cook books!

6 comments:

spices for violet said...

Did you buy the tea set? It's GREAT!

Tanja said...

LOL about the bookstore. I'm surprised it wasn't more obvious from outside that is was a Christian bookstore, but perhaps you were just too excited about it being a bookstore to read the whole window?

Did they mind you taking photos? I'd be too self-conscious to take photos so I'm interested in their reaction.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pix. The cookbooks made me smile. It's funny the way the same books appear in every store. You're almost guaranteed to find something by Julie Stafford or Gabriel Gate; a microwave or a freezer cookbook (sometimes both); a very Anglicized Chinese cookbook; evidence of past fad diets (high fibre; polyunsaturated; Scarsdale diet plan etc); and a cake and biscuit cookbook (usually all in imperial measures). But if I'm really lucky, there will be a ring-bound book put together as a fundraiser, full of things like apricot chicken, 'curries' made with sultanas, apples and leftover roast lamb, rock cakes and honey joys. Perverse, I know, but I find these books strangely appealing.

lazy cow said...

I'm a little sad that the Word bookstore closed down as I was planning a visit soon (seriously!) I'll just have to visit the store in its new incarnation instead!

Drewzel said...

OMG tea set!!! tea set!! ooh, i would have grabbed that one and squealed like a wee piglet!

I wonder if it's still there ahhahaha Steph!

Toria said...

Please tell me you also bought that really cute bag in front of the top you bought (first picture).